Monday, January 11, 2010

Cheesecake!

After debating for a while about joining the blog world, I finally decided that I would. I had really wanted to join the 365 project, but after 5 days of doing it decided against it. I felt pressured into taking a photo each day and then in turn took pictures of random things (I know right? After just 5 days). So I decided to do my own project, which involves cooking, but mostly baking. I want to try to bake new things each week, maybe more than once a week, we shall see.

I had started off with a brownie bottom cheesecake because I just had to use my new spring form pans, well turns out you don’t have to use one (but I did). I also made some yummy cupcakes, but I will post that tomorrow. For now here is the recipe:

Brownie Base:
8 tbl butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 oz semisweet chocolate
1 cup superfine sugar (If you can’t find this then you can take your sugar and put it in your blender/food processor and blend until powdery)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup of milk

Topping:
2 (8 oz) blocks of soft cream cheese
2/3 cup of superfine sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup of plain yogurt
Melted chocolate for drizzling

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly spray a 9 inch cake pan or spring form pan.

To make the base:
Place the butter and chocolate in a saucepan and stir over low heat until melted.
Remove from heat and beat in sugar & then add the eggs and milk, beating well.
Stir in the flour, just until blended.
Spoon into the pan and spread evenly.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and reduce oven temp to 325.

To make the topping:
Place the cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a bowl and beat together until well blended.
Stir in the yogurt, then pour over the brownie base.
Bake for an additional 40-45 minutes.
Run a knife around the edge to loosen it up (if using a spring form pan, shouldn’t be necessary)
Let cool before removing from pan.
Chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight before serving (if you can wait).
Drizzle with chocolate.



As far as my tips go, definitely use superfine sugar, even if you have to make your own.
If you forget to leave the cream cheese out, then place it on your stove top as the oven preheats.
To me this didn’t have a very powerful cheesecake flavor, but was still tasty.
~Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. oh me likey!! must try this for sure! seems pretty easy too

    ReplyDelete